From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Monday, January 17, 2011

A Firehouse and Bags of Broken Jewelry

I was at the curb in front of my house waiting for the van with the other blond to pull up at 7:15AM Saturday morning, our destination was to first get my aunt Joan and then head to a firehouse in a small town having a community yard sale. All of these things are exactly how I like to start a weekend.

The drive to the firehouse was beautiful, over hill-n-dale - also how I like to start an early Saturday morning -- light playing off the fields with cows and horses grazing, stone and wood farm houses dotting the countryside. The firehouse was over two sets of bumpy railroad tracks at the edge of a quiet little town.

Inside we found mostly vendors, so the majority of the merchandise for sale was already priced too high to make a profit, but also provides a nice quality and variety of items to look at.
I found this great vintage radio shaped like an owl, which I ended up selling on my etsy site soon after I put it on-line.

We spent about an hour poking around, each of us with a few things in our bags, and were on our way out when Joan spotted a box on the floor under a vendors table selling a nice variety of vintage jewelry. We all rummaged through the box and found several zip-lock baggies full of bits of old jewelry for a dollar. Goody-bags for the creatively-minded - little bit of shiny...oooh, I can do something with those...not sure what...but I know I can...

We went back to Joan's and dumped our booty out on the table as we sipped coffee and thought of all the fun things that could be made with eighties jewelry left-overs. Linda modeled a lovely pair of giant-dangly earrings.
We came up with several ideas for all this great stuff and decided it really is more fun to play with broken jewelry than do our Saturday chores.











All things come to an end and the coffee cups were emptied and the jewelry put back in their bags for future craft projects...laundry, child chauffeuring and cleaning called. But for a little while, we felt like little kids playing dress-up in our mother's jewelry box.

No comments:

Post a Comment