From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Monday, February 28, 2011

Owls

A classic icon of the 60's and 70's, the owl.
This wise-old-bird decorates everything from pot holders to jewelry to salt-and-pepper shakers and has proven to be a popular item in the retro world.

I don't think it's just nostalgia that draws people to this nocturnal bird, but that it represents quiet dignity and wisdom in this chaotic world...plus they're just cool looking.

The pictures in today's blog are of items either currently in my etsy.com shop or have already sold.

The set of silver owl-shaped salt-and-pepper shakers below still hold the record for my quickest sale at just five-minutes on the site before they were bought by someone in Texas.

My own memories of the 1970s include a collection of ceramic owls on a window shelf, a macrame owl hung in a patio-room, and a silvery-pendant with turquoise-eyes hanging from my mother's neck.
In my first 20 sales in my etsy.com shop, five of them were owl-inspired items, including this great umbrella stand...so a quarter of my first sales were owls, and that statistic hasn't fluctuated that much.

Whether majestic or kitschy cute, we love our owls!

No comments:

Post a Comment