From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Church Sale, Blah - Flea Market, Yay

Saturday morning was a perfect spring day, a little sunshine, not too hot, plus I was in the Suburban with the other blond and her mom on my way to a church sale...all good.

My aunt Joan had told me about a church fundraiser near her - and you know how much I love a church sale. She and my uncle Jerry arrived just after we did. Unfortunately, there were only about a dozen tables with mostly clothes and newer items. Not a picker's dream. I did get this cute tea towel from 1975, but that was it. The upside was, I only spent .25.
So we climbed back in the Suburban - a little disappointed -- and headed to a flea market being held not too far from our homes on the Pennsylvania-Maryland border. I didn't hold out a lot of hope of finding any great bargains because flea markets tend to have a lot of vendors who are trying to sell their wares just as I do on etsy.com, so their prices are too high for me to make a profit. Or, it's people who are basically having their garage sale at the flea market and to find any good bargains at their tables, you need to get to them early, and since we had gone to the church sale first, we were not.

There are some advantages, however, to being a little on the late side - people do not want to pack the stuff back up and take it home again, so bargaining becomes a little easier. My favorite deal for the day was this Lincolnware aluminum canister set. I bought it from a vendor who really just wanted to get rid of what he had there and it was getting late in the day. He sold them to me for $1 and they are really in great condition.
There were some quirky things there too - and people who shop on etsy like the quirky. I found this planter shaped like a Pixie (I know this because on the back it says "I am a Pixie") at the bottom of a box under a table - I literally had to do some "pickin'" to find this.So I learned again that you might think you have a great place to find some treasures, only to discover that the best finds were where you least expected them.
That seems to happen an awful lot in life, too.

twoblondsandavan.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment