From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A note from the other side of my brain

As I've mentioned in my blog before, my primary creative outlet, dream, torture and love is writing fiction, but the process of getting published by a mainstream publishing house can be long and frustrating.

So after seven-years of writing regularly, and being published by a small press (see book cover/link below), last July I decided to take some time to regroup and turned my attention to my etsy.com shop. I've been enjoying rummaging at yard sales, thrift stores and church fundraisers for fun, unusual and beautiful vintage items to sell.

Then this morning a wonderful thing happened, I woke up and the first thing I wanted to do was write...that is the first time that has happened in almost a year. I wanted to say thank you to etsy.com, and my customers, for providing me with a thoroughly fun vocation and a way to give the left-side of my brain time to recharge the old creative batteries.Yesterday, these two parts of my life even overlapped when I had a convo with an etsy customer - he was interested in possibly buying a typewriter I have for sale -- and in the course of our communication found out he is a freelance writer and journalist. He suggested I look into e-books. This is something another friend of mine had mentioned only the day before, and when something like that is mentioned two-days in a row, I listen. I did some research and have found the world of e-publishing to be an exciting prospect , giving me whole new outlet to look at for my writing.

So I continue on the journey of both finding cool old stuff to put in my etsy.com site, and writing fiction - don't know where either will take me, but that's the fun part. It feels good to remember that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment