From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Spontaneity

I can read about a yard sale on craigslist.com..."Moving sale, everything must go, super cheap! Lived in Sweden during the Danish Modern period, and I have Eames chairs in every room I'll sell for a dollar" (OK, that last part would never happened)... sounds great and I head out of the house by 7:00AM to be the first one there.

I'll drive a half-hour to this place only to find one fold-out card table with a broken crock-pot and an old curling iron for $20 a piece. The words "best laid plans" runs through my head as I open the paper and hope there's another sale somewhere in the area so I can redeem my morning.

Yet on other days, like today, I can wake up with every intention of staying home and to get some laundry done, pack up some things that already sold on etsy.com and take them to the post office, and then maybe I'll stop at one of the thrift stores while I'm out anyway...and maybe I'll call the other blond and her mom to see if they want to ride along. No biggie, quick trip to York and home, no expectations.But Linda, Lee and I don't even get out of town when Linda yells for me to stop the truck, there's a metal cabinet that's been put out for the trash (yeah right, they know some crazy person is going to come along and take it away long before the trash men get there - oh yeah, we are those crazy people). Above is the cabinet with Linda pointing to her favorite drawer...don't worry, she has the other door.

We get back on the road and make it halfway to York when Linda remembers another church thrift store we'd just discovered the week before. All three of us leave with our arms full. Here is my favorite thing from there, an old Rand McNally globe.

When we finally make it to the thrift store we'd been aiming for in the first place, there are more wonderful things inside and Linda ends up buying a gorgeous mid-century couch and coffee table all for less than $35.

I didn't do as well as Linda, but I did find a couple neat things, my favorite is this metal record stand probably from the 60's.

Once again, just letting life happen, seems to be a good plan all on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment