From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Floating Vintage

This past Easter weekend I was lucky enough to spend in one of my favorite places on the planet, in Maryland at my aunt and uncle's farm near Chestertown. I love it so much, it is the inspiration for my first published novel Lake Meade.

My weekend was filled with egg dying, catching up with family and too much ham and mashed potatoes, so any thoughts of going to yard sales or thrift stores was put on hold. Ironically, I stayed in a house filled with beautiful antiques, passed down for generations, so thinking about buying and selling vintage items was put aside only with some difficulty.Easter morning my family and I went for a walk around a local marina, taking in the scenery and the mix of new and old boats moored to the warping, wooden piers. My husband and I fantasized about how nice it would be to have a boat to go out on the Chesapeake, and true to form, we liked the old ones more than the shiny new ones. The one pictured above was for sale...but we didn't call to ask how much, because we also realized boats require a lot more disposable income than we've got in the old piggy bank.But it was still fun to dream about taking one of these lovely old ladies to explore the bay and drift away a sunny afternoon.So whether china, linens, glassware...or even boats...I love the older things with charater and charm. Things that look like they have some stories to tell and have weathered a few storms. Come to think of it, the same qualities I enjoy in people, too :-)

twoblondsandavan.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment