From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Buxton, Mele and Farrington...oh, my

I have always had a little thing for pretty jewelry boxes since I was a kid. The top of my dresser was a collection of trinket boxes I bought every time I went somewhere, a heart-shaped one made of pink stone from Florida was my personal favorite.

My collection started young, my first jewelry box looked something like this one shaped like a cottage that's currently in my etsy.com shop.

And apparently I am not alone in my obsession because leather-like jewelry boxes, particularly those made by Farrington, Buxton and Mele, have been good sellers.My most recent sale was the first men's jewelry box I've come across. I bought this at a retirement community fundraiser, it was from the 70's but was in such great condition it looked like it was brand new.
This little leather travel case in red I bought at a thrift shop and is now enjoying world travel...lucky jewelry case.



I bought this pink Farrington box at an auction filled with costume jewelry. It was actually the first thing I ever bought at auction and I paid more than I had originally wanted (the lady next to me was bidding too and I just couldn't let her win - mine...mine...mine).
The jewelry inside was the best part about this box. Here are some of the fun novelty earrings I found inside and sold as part of a collection.



I think this Lady Buxton was the most elegant and largest of all the jewelry boxes I've had in my shop.My theory is that people enjoy these vintage boxes because they just make you feel like a pretty, pretty princess...or that could just be me.

1 comment:

  1. I found this post in my every widening search to find other midcentury jewelry box collectors - lovely boxes, will check out your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete