From My Etsy Shop - Click on "hmmosko" to enter

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Enamel Me, Baby

Perfect fall morning, leaves turning, sun reflecting off the water as the Suburban crossed over the Codorus Reservoir...and the other blond and her mom riding along...all good.

Our first stop was a church sale that held much promise, but turned out to be a dud. Although, it was a nice way to start the day, none-the-less. An older man excused himself when he thought he was standing in front of me at a table, and I assured him he was not by saying , "You're fine." He took my hand, looked me in the eye and said, "Why thank you, you are fine as well." And kissed the back of my hand. Had he been a few years younger, I would have found this creepy, but coming from the elderly white-haired gentleman with a twinkle in his eye, I took it as a charming little moment.

Not sure where to go next, we decided to turn the truck towards Hanover as there were several yard sales listed in that area on Criag's list. As we pulled into town Linda pointed to a church parking lot on a hill. "Something's happening up there. Let's go see." What we found was the second day of a church sale, so not much left, but what was left was all $1 stuff-a-bag. Nothing spectacular but I did score this little turtle planter.And a pair of red-metal candle-stick holders that would be especially cute at Christmastime.After grabbing a cup of tea at my favorite book shop/coffee house in Hanover, where I picked up a fresh copy of Writer's Market (yes, I'm going to start torturing myself with submissions and rejection letters once again), we admitted defeat for the day and started homeward. About 5-minutes from home we came across a sprawling yard-sale in an old garage and the picking became a little more promising. I found this great enameled, cast-iron, mid century Cousances saucepan in yellow.This was the second piece of enameled kitchenware I'd come across this week. I found this refrigerator box at a thrift store on Wednesday. I have a little thing for enameled metal, don't know why...maybe I should ask my brother-in-law what that means...he's a shrink.
I have several other pieces in my shop.
This set of pallella pans is one of my favorite examples of mid century kitchenware.And this super-mod frying pan in orange and purple could have fried up some fish while the cook was watching "Threes Company."
This tea pot is more kitschy than mod, but love it anyway.
These pieces stand the test-of-time because of how well they are made and how strong the materials are. I have a set of Le Crueset pans that I use and figure someone in thirty-years will probably buy them in a yard sale. I hope they enjoy them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment